Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How a Newspaper Can Gut a Letter

I sent a letter to the National Post on February 15, 2010. Below is the original letter I wrote and below that is the letter the National Post published.

Letter to Editor

National Post

February 15, 2010

Dear Editor, re: your article headlined, “Smitherman, husband approved for adoption,” National Post, February 15, 2010. I believe this adoption by two men is wrong. A child should have a mother and a father. No matter how those in our politically correct society try to describe this adoption, I believe, it is not normal for the child. As to your description of one man being the “husband” of the other man in this article, one can only say, nobody in possession of their senses would describe any man as the “husband” of another man. Still, I guess I should not be surprised at this perversion of words by the National Post, was it not your “newspaper” that described the pride parade, where men and women have been known to parade naked as a “family friendly” affair?

------------------------------------------------

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=2569049

Not pleased by gay adoption

National Post

Re: Smitherman, Husband Approved For Adoption, Feb. 15.

I believe any adoption by two men is wrong. A child should have a mother and a father. No matter how those in our politically correct society try to describe this adoption, I believe it is not normal for the child.

This article also describes one man as being the "husband" of the other man. I guess I should not be surprised at this perversion of words by the National Post. Did your newspaper not also describe the Gay Pride Parade as a "family-friendly" affair?

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=2569049